Sunday, September 20, 2009

Enniscrone...

Chris and I started our Holiday around Ireland in Enniscrone on the west coast. I found the Tara Farmhouse B&B had rave reviews, so that's where we stayed. It was a fantastic way to start off our trip. We were warmly greeted at with hot tea and homemade scones. The scones were AMAZING! I have yet to experience a pastry with such a perfect combination of taste and texture. When I complimented Catherine on her scones, her response was, "Oh yes, I'm very good now." I looked at Chris to see if I heard her correctly and he gave me the same look, indicating that I did, in fact, hear her correctly. Her confidence in her hospitality and home cooking carried on throughout our stay and was backed up by the warmth and quality! We were served tea and buns in the evening while sitting in front of a peat fire AND woke up to this as our breakfast table!
Chris and I both highly recommend Tara Farmhouse if you find yourself staying in the Enniscrone for the night.
First thing Chris and I wanted to do was see the ocean again. We LOVE the West Coast; the breeze, the sound of the waves and the smell. Oh, the smell of the salty sea air.


Chris and I had already done the Voya seaweed baths in Strandhill, so we thought we would try the other option in Ireland; Kilcullen seaweed baths. They were described as more "rustic" and more rustic they were. Real, old fashioned, porcelain tubs; a hose pulling water straight from the sea right outside the building; a pull-handle cold shower from a wooden box to "close your pores" when you've finished. It was wonderful. We prefered Kilcullen to Voya hands down! And just down the road was the old building for the original seawater baths in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment