Thursday, July 2, 2009

The heavens are opening...

The RDS Simmonscourt is always having different trade shows and conferences going through week after week, which is situated directly behind our back garden. This week it was something to do with lots and lots of semi-trucks. They have been loud, but not overly so. So last night at about 4am I hear what sounds like two semis crashing into each other. It was so loud it literally sounded like the crash happened in the parking lot. I woke up with a start, grumbled and thought, who is gettin on with all the racket at this time? (apparently I'm a little older than my years with that thought) but rolled over to go back to sleep. 10 minutes later it happened again, but even louder...then I heard to torrential downpour of rain...We are having a tried & true thunderstorm of the ages! How completely awesome...this was the type of thunderstorm I remember as a child growing up in ND where we opened the garage door and set up the lawn chairs, all sat down together and simply watched mother nature do her thing!

After that delightful thought it occurred to me that my babies were outside in this thunderstorm...I immediately jumped out of bed in my skivvies, ran into the kitchen, flung open the french doors and frantically started bringing my tomato plants in one-by-one! Chris woke up during this commotion and simply watched in a tired stupor! Crazy lady and her tomato plants! I got them all in (the rest of the garden could fend for themselves) and was chilled to the bone, soaking from head to toe! After drying off, I sat in the living room with all the lights off and simply watched as the heavens opened their gates! There were severe flashes of lightening and as the night went on the thunder had a 10 second delay, but was still ferocious!

Well, this thunderstorm was the talk of our walking group today...apparently Ireland NEVER gets thunderstorms! I feel pretty lucky...first we get to experience the first snowfall in 15 years, we have more sun this summer than they've seen in a few years and now an awesome display by mother nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment