Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dingle Peninsula...

Dingle is yet another place that holds very special memories for me. When last I was there I stayed at the Ballentaggart Hostel, in a dorm of 8. The room was filled with the MacFarland family, one short of the Brady Bunch, so I filled the 8th bed. We got along wonderfully and they adopted me for a full 36 hours, taking me around the Ring of Kerry in search of my ancestor's castle where the Black meets the Kenmare river. They are such a wonderful family and Dingle was such a wonderful place that I wanted to share that with Chris. We were exploring town and came upon this bakery...you know me...I see kitchen equipment and it's magnetic! We bought a few gorgeous pastries and sat down to eat, only to be joined by the owner of the bakery. He was full of interesting stories...

He told us about these stars. He said, "Well, the lie goes like this...all the names are of the famous people who visited and never paid. The lie is more interesting than the truth, but nobody really knows the truth."
The thing the Chris was most looking forward to was taking a trip out to Dingle Bay to have some craic with Fungie the Dolphin. Fungie has lived in Dingle Bay for roughly 23 years. The story goes that he and his mate came into Dingle Bay where his mate died. He will not leave, as dolphins mate for life. They aren't sure how old Fungie is exactly, but he is definitely getting on in years...that didn't stop him from playing with the boats!



A typical Irish pub...
With the latest "import" the king of beers!
Chris and I ate seafood chowder almost every single day of our trip and never got sick of it!
Ah...a meeting with my kind of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment