Saturday, July 11, 2009

Tomatoes...post-Spain

Katie Wenig...one of the two Katies...kindly agreed to my anal-retentive watering demands whilst Chris and I took our holiday in Spain. The list of watering instructions was quite lengthy and detailed and probably a bit overwhelming, but she was a trooper and came over the day before we left for a run through and note taking session. Yes, I was asking a lot, but I have put much work into my first garden and I was worried that if not given the proper amount of love, it would die off in my absence. I also left some delicious food in the fridge for her to snack on the numerous watering sessions.

Needless to say, as evidenced in the picture below, I had NOTHING to worry about. I left with the tomato plants a little over 4' tall. She followed my watering instructions to a 'T' and with having them inside, in a pseudo greenhouse setting, saying they thrived would be a bit of an under statement. I walked into the apt and the only thing I could say was "HOLY COW...THEY'RE HUGE!" They grew to a little over 6' tall while we were away AND are still growing. With my kitchen/cooking shoes on, I'm 6'2" easily and they are at least 6" taller than me. I'm afraid to put them outside with the wind we've been having lately...they would definitely be blown over!
Katie...thank you SO MUCH for taking such good care of my garden...you will be rewarded with more tomatoes than you could possibly ever want in a lifetime...once they start turning red! I really appreciate all your hard work and dedication! You are a good friend!

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome my friend! I only followed your instructions; you have two SUPER green thumbs!

    ReplyDelete