Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cape Town- Day 7 Cape Fusion tour...

During my research of things to do in Cape Town, I search long and hard for local African Cooking classes. It seems that Cape Fusion Tours is one of the only that provide them and what a service they provide. Pamela picked me up personally and took me to the District 6 (Apartheid) Museum, while giving me it's in-depth history.
This was what a typical home looked like before the destruction. I was, of course, interested in the fact that this was the kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom (the bed is behind me in the corner). There was no stove, simply a gas burner. They got water from the public faucet...
On our way out, we stopped by Charlie's Bakery...you could the sugar in the air coating your skin it was so sweet.

Onward to Langa township outside of CT...it's oldest township. Pictured here are Pamela and Eugene in front of Eziko Restaurant. I won't rant and rave about their amazing grassroots project b/c I've already done so in one of my January entries. So for further information on how these people are changing hundreds of lives see that entry.
Eugene is one of the most enthusiastic foodies I've ever encountered...so much passion for food, for the process, for the ingredients...he's my kind of people!
Pap...called Ugali in Tanzania, but essentially it's white corn polenta, but much drier and more crumbly (I like it better)...
Cooking my lamb stew!
Eugene teaching me how to make the steam dumplings in cabbage leaves...
This is the kitchen for the non-profit school...again, see the other entry for more information.
And here it is...my lamb stew (quite tasty and I'm not a huge fan of lamb).
Semp and beans (my fav). Semp is dried white corn, soaked and cooked for hours till it's the proper consistency. Often they pair it with sugar beans (which are very similar to pinto beans).
blanched butternut squash, sauteed veg and stir fried cabbage and spinach
steam dumplings in cabbage leaves...
We ate family style, with our hands (as it should be...so fun). Eugene was kind enough to share a bottle of wine from a local vineyard (his friend). It didn't even have a label, which is unfortunate b/c it truly was the best red wine I've ever had!
The damage!

1 comment:

  1. Loved finding your blog!! Such amazing pictures! Thank you for being such a great fan and ambassador of Eziko. Lots of love from South africa. Lv Pam

    ReplyDelete