Saturday, January 23, 2010

Walking the Walk...

Our third day in Cape Town saw Chris and I doing our own things. Chris opted for super lame and unadventurous diving with Great White sharks (he's so boring and predictable!). I chose to get my beauty sleep and be a woman about town! After breakfast, I headed down to the Hop on/ Hop off bus and did exactly that on various spots along the route. The best spot was The Company Gardens which were like a botanical gardens except free! So many people spending time with their loved ones, the scenery so beautiful! It was an oasis in the middle of metopolis! I applied my sunscreen at least 6 times again. Definitely getting sun, but seemingly avoiding getting full-on sunburned! I loved the sites again, but this time listened to the commentary the bus provides and learned a bit of history too. I got off on stop #15 and walked the rest of the way home. It was quite beautiful, but I felt like I was a foosball ball being bounced back and forth between street vendors and people asking for money and selling this and that. I have said the phrases "no, sorry" and "no thank you, I'm not interested" about 100 times today. They don't approach as much when I'm with Chris, so I'm going to try to stick with him from now on! Plus I love him, so that won't be hard!

Today was the grand opening ceremonies at the new soccer stadium and first match ever in the stadium. They built the stadium for hosting the World Cup come June 2010. It's quite the energy in the street and all around. People blowing horns and whistles and shouting with pride and excitement! People who attended are so proud that they will be able to say to their children they were at the first game. This is a historical moment for Cape Town. It's a fun energy to be around!

Tomorrow...beach day!

No comments:

Post a Comment