Monday, January 25, 2010

Cape Malay Cooking...

So I finally had my first cooking class today. It was a 1:1 class with Gamidah in the extremely colorful and traditional neighborhood of Bo-Kaap. Gamidah was really very nice and showed me some really awesome things. We made Roti bread (Cape Malay style, not the same as the Indian style Roti bread Chris and I had in Fiji for our honeymoon). She also showed me chicken curry from scratch with oh-so-fresh spices! Finally, we made Cape Malay style samosas, which are also very different than Indian style Samosas. I actually like them better. So now I can make them at home. I was sent home with the recipes and step by step details of how to make everything, so when Chris and I visit or finally settle somewhere, guess what you'll be eating for supper. I have my second cooking class on Wednesday...

Our plan for the afternoon was to explore the Bo-Kaap neighborhood a bit, then walk to the train station, buy a ticket and take the train down to Simons town where we would venture up to the Penguin Colony. We ended up not hitting the train station till what appeared to be rush hour...everything was mass chaos and we didn't end up doing that. Instead we walked down to the Waterfront (the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront) and took pictures of sun-bathing seals, ventured through local shops and had a lovely dinner at a Belgian themed restaurant on the waterfront at sunset (umm romantic). Tomorrow it's a full day Wine tour! Such fun we are having.

No comments:

Post a Comment