Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What London was for me...

Chris and I were both very excited to get to London, but for very different reasons. For him it was for the site seeing. For me, it was the lounging, relaxing, and the food. They say that English food is the worst in the world, but I don't agree. I think it's Irish. All the things I learned to love about Irish food was in England and then some. Our first stop upon arrival was at Toby's Carvery for lunch...5 pounds each for all your can eat three meat carvery buffet!

AMAZING!
We were so excited for food we recognized. African food was delicious, but too much of a good thing can get tiresome. Let's dissect what is so amazing about this lunch;

1) Glasses of ICE cold tap water with lemon. That's right...this water is not bottled, not treated with iodine tablets and does not require filtering before you drink it...it simply runs like liquid gold from the faucet into your glass and flows freely and amweba free past your lips! AAAAAAAHHHHH!,

2)Gravy...gravy like a delicious velvet blanket over everything. Let's focus on the awesomeness of the delicate Yorkshire pudding for a moment. Now I will never understand why the English use the word pudding to describe everything they are too lazy to come up with a proper name for, but I'll go with it for now since Yorkshire Pudding is so amazing. Gravy with peas and corn (absent from the plate unfortunately) is also a fav of mine. Reminds me of Thanksgiving...

3) Speaking of T-day; Turkey, stuffing balls, cranberry sauce! Delish!

4) Speaking of meat; turkey, ham and roast beef!

5) Veg; potatoes (of course), roasted swede, carrots, peas and cabbage!

Now they they said it was all you can eat, but Chris and my stomach shrank so much in Africa that this amount of food about burst us right open. So though I longed for more Yorkshire pudding and glorious gravy, I had to just say no!
I didn't venture from the hotel much the whole time we were in London. When I did it was for the food! At the King and Castle Pub I had some lunch, but was intrigued at how many more types of sauce and color for sauce packets there were in England than in Ireland. From left to right, top to bottom: Horseradish sauce, English mustard, French mustard (I don't know why they left out German mustard since it's the far superior one), Mint sauce, Salad cream (excuse me sir, your hogging all the delicious salad cream), Malt Vinegar (put that one in for you Kate), brown sauce (hatche P), ketchup (not pictured)...

2 comments:

  1. Chris is pretty excited for his food, nice.
    The food sounds good too, especially the way you describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh malt vinegar! how i love thee :)

    ReplyDelete